Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Embroidered linens

Gina and I are going to be doing a swap soon--she is sending me thrifted ties, and I'll be adding to her embroidery collection.
The problem is that embroidered linens just don't seem to be around that much anymore, or the ones I'm finding are really pricey.
Hmmm...I'll just keep looking.
My best bet is probably going to be garage sales.

In the meantime, I've had my radar out, and spotted this dresser set that isn't really Gina's style, so I'm, ahem, adding it my own stash of goodies.
Yeah, I know, it's just like shopping for Christmas--one gift for them, one gift for me, one gift for them....

I just thought this was really sweet, and reminds me of the palomino I had in high school.
I am considering (cover your eyes, purists) making these into a purse.
I figure it would better get displayed and appreciated that way, and I am more apt to use it.
There are a few loose flowers, but they're just french knots, so that's an easy repair.
The crocheted edgings are in excellent condition. No stains or snags.
Embroidered horse and flowers
(click image to enlarge, if desired)

Embroidered horse
I wonder what the history is of these pieces is?
I envision a grandmother lovingly creating this for a young girl.
Her room was lined with shelves of Breyers, and dreams of one day owning her own pony...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

OOOOH Barb!!! I have just realised you have this blog on thrift shop stuff, and on reading through, found this post. What makes you think this isn't my style? I LOVE these kitschy old duchess sets; I probably have about a hundred of them, and several with horses on. This is lovely. What sacrilege - cutting up a perfectly good doiley to make a purse..when are we going to see it anyway?

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home